JOHN D. LOUCKS plotted the town of Sheridan, Wyoming in 1882, first mayor in 1884, and was the first Sunday School Superintendent of our church.
Moving from a homested ministry, First Congregational built its first building in 1892. It was erected where the Sheridan Courthouse now stands.
Our current brick building was built in 1911. Shortly thereafter, the church received a donation from Andrew Carnegie for our magnificent Hutchings Organ. It is still played today!
In 2019, our church was selected by Partners for Sacred Places as a valuable asset to our nation, not only for its history, but for our community work. Selected as the first National Sacred Place in Wyoming, our church was able to raise matching funds in order to make the church more accessible. In addition, the church was renovated, bringing it back to its historical magnificence.
Our ONA Covenant, adopted on April 17, 2021, reads: "The First Congregational United Church of Christ in Sheridan, Wyoming invites all to embrace the teachings of Jesus to love God and our neighbors. The Bible tells us that "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28). As we are all created in God's image, we welcome everyone regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, nationality, faith background, family structure, gender identity and expression, physical or mental disability, and economic or social status. All are invited to participate fully in the life of our church."